Freckled Paws is in the business of alternative treatments for common dog diseases. When developing new products, the first consideration is always the safety of the furkids who might use our products.
The Internet is a great medium for information that has changed the world. Unfortunately, much of the information has not been vetted or properly researched. Case in point regards our Hot Spot products that have been proven extremely effective at healing many skin issues in dogs, especially lesions caused by canine discoid lupus, collie nose and discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE). Our ingredients have been thoroughly researched to be safe for your beloved furkid even if they ingest the product. Yet, we have come across other products containing known toxins, along with articles recommending the use of toxic substances in treating skin lesions, hot spots and various other canine diseases. One such product had no less than 4 known dog toxins (one which has caused many hundreds if not thousands of fatalities) in a single product!
There is so little of it in the product doesn’t hold water
While it is true some products contain very little of the toxin but the recommended treatment can be several times per day. Have these people studied or researched the half life of the substance? Have they researched how long the substance remains in the body? Do they have knowledge the toxin does not build up blood serum levels over time until the level reaches a toxic level high enough to cause symptoms or even death?
Consumers need to be aware there are no educational requirements or laws as to who can manufacture and market a natural health care product for your furbaby. Unfortunately, there are unscrupulous people who place profit over everything, including the welfare of your furbaby. Before purchasing any product, including those we offer, do some research to make certain you are not giving your furkid something potentially harmful.
Resources for toxic ingredients and Poison Control
- Pet Poison Control Hotline: 800-213-6680
- ASPCA Poison Control: (888) 426-4435
- Toxic Plants
- Toxic People Foods
Common Toxins in Natural & Herbal Dog Products
- Tea Tree Oil: Avoid! Experts in the subject often list their product as “Tea Tree Oil Free”. This is highly toxic to dogs and can be fatal. Here is a perfect example of someone promoting Tea Tree Oil…make sure and read the comments after the article.
- Aloe Vera: Another common ingredient to avoid. Don’t listen to those who will try and tell you otherwise. Aloe Vera is toxic to dogs.
- Grape Seed Extract: Grapes and raisons are known pet toxins but some manufacturers still put Grape Seed Extract in their dog products. It is toxic!
- Eucalyptus: Another common ingredient in herbal dog treatments that is toxic.
- St. John’s Wort: Has been banned from pet products in some countries.
- Yarrow: Another herb common in pet herbal remedies.
This is not a complete list nor was it meant to be. These are some of the more common toxins found in dog products. The point I hope I’m getting across is to do some research before purchasing alternative health products and supplements for your beloved furbaby.
Freckled Paws promise to our customers is we will always caution on the side of safety when it comes to products we sell and manufacture. Our tagline is “Where Your Furkid is Our Furkid” which is more than a simple tagline. It is how we treat our clients. We would rather go bankrupt than to harm a single furkid due to us taking an unnecessary risk on a questionable ingredient.